Search This Blog

Welcome!

Welcome to my Blog! I will be updating this blog everyday I am in Prague, and other places in Europe, with a picture and an interesting story that happened to me. This is my way of documenting my trip for all to experience this wonderful oppourtunity of studying abroad in Prague. I will be taking a photojournalism class while abroad so watch out for some AMAZING (hopefully) pictures that I will share.















Tuesday, June 1, 2010

McDonald's, Historical Church, and Skate Punks



What is the one constant thing no matter what country you got to? McDonald's. They are everywhere and you can always count on their food to be delicious yet fattening. This is exactly where I went on my lunch break from class today. Two things I learned: You have to pay for ketchup and to use the restroom (water closet)! Yes, I had to buy my way into the restroom. Which by the way, wasn't even that nice. However, the food was a nice getaway from the Czech food I have been eating which mainly consists of dumplings and some sort of meat. One thing that the U.S branch of McDonald's should invest in is waffle fries. Apparently, all European McDonald's have waffle fries, and they are rather tasty.

The most exciting part of the day was when we went to visit the Church of SS Cyril and Methodius, which is where the assassins of Reinard Heydrich hid during World War Two. Reinard Heydrich was Hitler's third in command and oversaw the Sudetenland during the Nazi occupation of WW2. His two assassins, one Czech and one Slovak, were hidden in this church by priests after they assassinated Heydrich. They plus several of the other resistance fighters were ambushed by Nazi Gestapo at this church and held the Nazi off for about eight hours. They hid in an old crypt beneath the church and we actually got to tour this crypt. You could see the bullet holes in the walls left by the Nazi and resistance fighters’ exchange of gunfire during their standoff. Eventually the resistance fighters ran out of ammunition and committed suicide rather than be caught alive by the Nazi.

After this historic and somber visit we went to the local skate park to work on some motion photography. I know my little brother, Dillon, would have loved this. We went to the top of a cliff, after climbing what seemed like a billion stairs, to where the local skaters hang out. Most seemed ok with our presence, except for one disgruntled skater who eventually moved away from us. This didn't stop him from saying some nasty words in Czech to us. The skaters were really cool and I got some pretty awesome pics.

This was a very full and rewarding day here in Prague. I saw a historic church, photographed some skater punks, and ate a glorious Big Mac.

No comments:

Post a Comment