Search This Blog

Welcome!

Welcome to my Blog! I will be updating this blog everyday I am in Prague, and other places in Europe, with a picture and an interesting story that happened to me. This is my way of documenting my trip for all to experience this wonderful oppourtunity of studying abroad in Prague. I will be taking a photojournalism class while abroad so watch out for some AMAZING (hopefully) pictures that I will share.















Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Terezin Concentration Camp



Today we went to the Terezin concentration camp located forty-five minutes outside of Prague. Terezin was a camp for Jews and others deemed "undesirable" by the Nazis during WW2. The camp served as a holding station to sort out people until they were eventually sent on trains to extermination camps to die in the east.

Terezin was beautiful in a very creepy way. The center of the camp had a beautiful park with roses but, the thought of what happened to the Jewish people there years ago gave Terezin a weird vibe. People still live in Terezin today and I can't understand how you can live in a place where so many people were sent to die. The trip was really interesting because we go to see the entire camp and explore around ourselves. We went into the tunnels that the Nazis used and visited the bunks of the prisoners.

Overall, the camp was a humbling and solemn experience. It was neat to get to see the history before my own eyes but, this history had a dark, evil past.

1 comment:

  1. Cody, I'm glad you are having such a great variety of experiences while you are abroad. I appreciate your sensitivity to the history of this country and the things you are seeing. Reading about these things in a book is just not the same. THanks for letting us back home into your head. Donna

    ReplyDelete